The Information We Collect
We explain the two ways that we collect and process information about you.
Information You Provide to Us
Feedback and Email Newsletter: You may choose to submit feedback (such as reviews, tips, or comments) that may be shared with others through our Services. The feedback that you submit through the Services may be made available for other users of Consumer Search.com to read. We may also display your feedback on the Services, share it with businesses, and further distribute it to a wider audience through third party sites and services. We will however only use your name and/or email address for the purpose of answering to your feedback and when you sign up to receive our email newsletter.
Communications:If you participate in a survey, poll, promotion, contest, or sweepstakes; submit a customer service or other inquiry to us; request to receive certain communications from us; or contact us about employment opportunities posted to the Services, we may collect contact information such as your name, address, email address, or telephone number.
Information We Collect about your computer or mobile device when you Use the Services
When you use the Services, we automatically collect and store certain information about your computer or device and your activities, including:
- IP address of your computer
- Unique mobile device identifier
- Technical information about your computer or mobile device such as type of device, mobile device ID number, web browser (Internet Explorer 8, etc.), other browser information (e.g. size, connection speed and connection type), and operating system or platform (Mac, Windows XP, etc.)
- Your preferences and settings (time zone, language, etc.)
- If you are using a mobile device, your mobile device’s geographic location (specific geographic location if you have enabled collection of that information, or general geographic location automatically). Please see the section “About Location Information”below for further information.
- Internet provider (Verizon, Comcast, etc.) or mobile carrier name (AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc.)
- The URL of the last webpage you visited before visiting NutraReviews.org
- Information about your activity on the Services (e.g., your search queries, search results selected, clicks, pages viewed, how long you visited our Services, etc.)
About Location Information
When you use one of our location-enabled services (for example, when you access Services from a mobile device), we may need to collect and process information about your actual GPS location (including the latitude, longitude or altitude of your mobile device) and the time the location information was recorded. Some of these services require your personal data for the feature to work and we may associate location data with your device ID and other information we hold about you. We keep this data for no longer than is reasonably necessary for providing our services. If you wish to use the particular feature, you will be asked to consent to your data being used for this purpose. You can withdraw your consent at any time by disabling the relevant feature. We have explained how you can disable the collection of Mobile Device Location Information below:
How to Disable the Collection of Mobile Device Location Information.
If you do not want your location information collected when you use the Services from a mobile device, please follow these instructions:
- If you are using an Apple device, click on “General,” then “Reset,” then “Reset Location and Privacy.” This will turn off location functionality for all of your apps so that the next time you download or use an app, you will be asked again to provide your consent for us and others to access your location information.
- If you are using an Android device, visit device settings, click “Location,” and then click the boxes for the particular applications for which you would like to disable location services.
- If your device changes the above methods of disabling the collection of mobile device location, please contact your device manufacturer or platform provider to determine how to disable the collection of this information.
Cookies, Mobile Device IDs and Online Advertising:
Most browsers are set to automatically allow cookies. However, if you would like to remove cookies from your browser, you can delete or disable them by consulting your browser’s “help” menu. If you choose to decline or remove cookies, please note that this may affect the quality of the services. In addition, deleting or disabling cookies on one browser is unlikely to delete them on other browsers or other computers. Thus, you may have to delete or disable cookies in more than one location.
Major browsers provide users with various options when it comes to cookies. Users can usually set their browsers to block all third-party cookies (which are those set by third-party companies collecting information on websites operated by other companies), block all cookies (including first-party cookies such as the ones Consumer Search uses to collect search activity information about its users), or block specific cookies. To modify your cookie settings, please refer to the following support pages for each browser you use to access the ConsumerSearch website:
- Internet Explorer help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278835
- Firefox help: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Cookies#Firefox
- Safari help: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH5042
- Chrome help: http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95647
- A pixel tag (also called a web beacon or clear GIF) is a tiny graphic with a unique identifier, embedded invisibly on a webpage (or an online ad or email), and is used to count or track things like activity on a webpage or ad impressions or clicks, as well as to access cookies stored on users’ computers. NutraReviews.org pixel tags are used to measure the popularity of our various pages, features and services. Advertising company pixel tags are used to measure the number of ad impressions and the performance of ads on our site, and to access the advertising company’s cookies placed on your computer. Data analytics company pixel tags are used to aggregate information about our advertising and your engagement with our site for market research, product improvement, revenue tracking and advertising optimization.
Online and Mobile Advertising: Advertisers and advertising networks place ads (including sponsored links in search results) on our website. These companies as well as data analytics companies who service them may collect information, such as your computer’s IP address, browser information, mobile device ID, and search queries, as you use our Services.
These companies also may use web technologies such as cookies and pixel tags to collect data about you when you visit our site. Cookies from advertising companies enable them to track your activity across various sites where they display ads and record your activities, so they can show ads that they consider relevant to you. You may opt-out of receiving targeted online advertising from advertising networks that is delivered on NutraReviews.org and other websites. For further information about your right to opt-out of receiving targeted online advertising please visit the following websites:
If you are using a mobile device, we use your unique mobile device ID number to recognize you when you access our site, to store your preferences and settings and to track your use of our Services. Advertising companies may also use and store your mobile device ID to track your use of the Services, track the number of ads displayed, measure ad performance and show ads that they consider relevant to you in various mobile services that you use. If you are using an iOS device and you do not want to receive tailored in-application ads that relate to your interests, you may opt-out by accessing the following link on your device: http://oo.apple.com. If you are using an iOS6 device, you also may limit the delivery of tailored ads by: Open Settings and tap “General” then tap “About”; Scroll to the bottom of About and tap “Advertising”; Flip “Limit Ad Tracking” to ON. If you are using an Android device and you do not wish to receive tailored in-application ads, you can visit Google’s Ads Preferences page from a browser on your device and make your choices there. We do not control how the applicable platform operator allows you to control receiving tailored in-application ads; thus, you should contact the platform provider if the above options are no longer available.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We use the information we collect from and about you for a variety of purposes, including to:
- Respond to your queries.
- Understand our users (their demographics, what they do on our Services, what features they like, how they use them, etc.), improve our Services, such as by personalizing content to your interests, process and complete your transactions, and make special offers.
- Administer our Services and diagnose technical problems.
- Send you communications that you have requested or that may be of interest to you.
- Enable us to show you ads on our website that may be more relevant to your interests.
How We Share the Information We Collect
We will not share the personal information we collect about you with any third party for their own marketing purposes without your consent. We will share your information in the following ways:
We use outside vendors for a variety of purposes, such as to help us analyze use of our Services. Some of our products, services and databases are hosted by third party hosting services providers. We also may use vendors for other projects, such as conducting surveys or organizing sweepstakes for us, that involve collection of information from our users. We may share information about you with these vendors to enable them to perform their services.
We may share your information with our affiliates, which are entities under common ownership or control of our ultimate parent company IAC/InterActiveCorp.
We may disclose data we collect about you when we believe disclosure is necessary to investigate, prevent, or respond to suspected illegal or fraudulent activity or to protect the safety, rights, or property of us, our users, or others.
If requested or required by government authorities, such as law enforcement authorities, courts, or regulators, or otherwise to comply with the law, we may disclose any information we have about our users. We also may disclose information collected about you in order to exercise or protect legal rights or defend against legal claims.
We may transfer your information to a third party if we or any of our affiliates are involved in a corporate restructuring (e.g., a sale, merger, or other transfer of some or all of our assets).
We may use and disclose non-personal information (e.g., de-identified or aggregate data) to third parties.
Reviewing, changing or deleting information
If you would like to review, change or delete personal information we have collected from you, please contact the NutraReviews.org Privacy Officer:
We have implemented commercially reasonable security measures that are designed to prevent unauthorized or unlawful access to and misuse of the information we collect, including technological and physical security measures as well as procedural safeguards. However, because no security system can be 100% effective, we cannot completely guarantee the security of any information we may have collected from or about you.
How Long We Keep Data About You
We retain the information we collect about and from you for as long as necessary to fulfill a business purpose or comply with a legal request. We may also choose to anonymize certain of the information you provide to us so that it can no longer be attributed to you if we would like to retain it for longer periods of time.
Children Under 13
The Services are not intended for users under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under 13 or market to or solicit information from anyone under the age of 13. If we become aware that a person submitting personal information is under 13, we will attempt to delete any related information as soon as possible. You hereby represent that you are at least 13.
Consent to Transfer of Information
If you have any question about our privacy practices, you can contact us by writing to our Privacy Officer at: